As parents and guardians, you play an integral role in the success of your daughters’ education at TMLA. We recognize your importance and invite you to become an active participant in the life of our school. You will enjoy athletic and extracurricular events, school theatrical and musical performances, and welcoming access to teachers and administrators.
The mission of the Parents Association of TMLA is to foster cooperation and goodwill among the members of the Mary Louis community and to support parental involvement in the life of the school.
Each parent/guardian holds automatic membership in the Parents Association. Many events throughout the year will provide you with opportunities to become involved with your daughter’s TMLA experience.
In addition to new events each year, we have some traditions that include the following:
- Two Open Houses each year involve parent volunteers and encourage parents already familiar with TMLA to share their experience with prospective parents. If your daughter is considering enrolling at TMLA, please come to an Open House! We look forward to meeting you.
- Annual Parent Auction is popular.
- The Mother-Daughter Spring Dinner and the Father Daughter Fall Dance have been popular events since 1936—so popular, in fact, that we have to limit attendance to 500 for each. Both include dinner and dancing to a DJ.
- Parents are invited to attend the Opening of School Liturgy, the Christmas Liturgy, and the Feast of St. Joseph’s Mass in March.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in the annual Walk-a-thon for charity, as well as the new TMLA 5K Run. In 2015, our first year for the run, 440 students, families, and friends walked or ran the course through the Jamaica Estates neighborhood.
- Report Card Night is a must, as parents come to the school to pick up their daughter’s trimester report card. The Parents Association runs a TMLA Boutique that evening, with school-related merchandise.
If you are a parent or guardian of a TMLA junior or senior, you have access to an individual meeting with our full-time college counselor to map out a strategy for your student’s path to college. This individualized attention has been invaluable to our families and has resulted in placement of students in highly regarded colleges and universities that fit their talents and ambitions.
In addition, a College Fair in the Fall attracts representatives from many East Coast colleges and universities. It includes a presentation of financial aid opportunities and guidance on the application process.
TMLA-sponsored bus trips take students to visit colleges and universities in the Mid-Atlantic region and other schools on the East Coast.