As parents and guardians, you play an integral role in the success of your daughters’ education at TMLA. We recognize your importance and invite you to become an active participant in the life of our school. You will enjoy athletic and extracurricular events, school theatrical and musical performances, and welcoming access to teachers and administrators.
In addition to new events each year, we have some traditions that include the following:
- Two Open Houses each year involve parent volunteers and encourage parents already familiar with TMLA to share their experience with prospective parents. If your daughter is considering enrolling at TMLA, please come to an Open House! We look forward to meeting you.
- Family Communion Breakfast is held on a Sunday morning each April. The liturgy features students as musicians, singers, lectors, and altar servers. After the service, families gather for a special breakfast, where selected students share thoughts about their TMLA experience—their growth in faith, knowledge, and friendship and service activities that make a difference.
- Fall Harvest Social and Spring Social are popular, with a different theme each year and a bountiful buffet. Volunteers auction baskets of various goods, and there is a silent auction for high-end items, such as a night on the town. Some years, there is a raffle for 50 percent tuition for one year. These are perfect opportunities to share TMLA stories, meet other parents, and mingle with teachers.
- The Mother-Daughter Spring Dinner and the Father Daughter Fall Dance have been popular events since 1936—so popular, in fact, that we have to limit attendance to 500 for each. Both include dinner and dancing to a DJ.
- Parents are invited to attend the Opening of School Liturgy, the Christmas Liturgy, and the Feast of St. Joseph’s Mass in March.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in the annual Walk-a-thon for charity, as well as the new TMLA 5K Run. In 2015, our first year for the run, 440 students, families, and friends walked or ran the course through the Jamaica Estates neighborhood.
- Report Card Night is a must, as parents come to the school to pick up their daughter’s trimester report card. The Parents Association runs a TMLA Boutique that evening, with school-related merchandise.
If you are a parent or guardian of a TMLA junior or senior, you have access to an individual meeting with our full-time college counselor to map out a strategy for your student’s path to college. This individualized attention has been invaluable to our families and has resulted in placement of students in highly regarded colleges and universities that fit their talents and ambitions.
In addition, a College Fair in November attracts representatives from many East Coast colleges and universities. It includes a presentation of financial aid opportunities and guidance on the application process.
TMLA-sponsored bus trips take students to visit colleges and universities in the Mid-Atlantic region and other schools on the East Coast.
As a parent or guardian, you are automatically a member of the Parents Association and are welcome to contact the group at parentsclub@TMLA.org. In addition, you will have access to the parents’ Edline for easy communication with TMLA.