Pediatric COVID-19 Symptoms
May 8th, 2020 Pediatric Population and Covid 19
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the State Department of Health is investigating several cases of severe illness in children that may be related to COVID-19. An advisory has been issued to inform healthcare providers as well tp provide guidance for testing and reporting.
New Yorkers should seek immediate care if a child has :
- Prolonged fever (more than five days)
- Difficulty feeding (infants) or is too sick to drink fluids
- Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting
- Change in skin color – becoming pale, patchy and/or blue
- Trouble breathing or is breathing very quickly
- Racing heart or chest pain
- Decreased amount of frequency in urine
- Lethargy, irritability or confusion
Though most children who get COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms, early recognition by pediatricians is essential. Molecular and serological testing for COVID-19 in children exhibiting the above symptoms is recommended.