Service Learning and Leadership Program
The Service Learning and Leadership Program at The Mary Louis Academy ensures that our students have an opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of the people in our global, local, and school communities. At the end of ninth grade, students apply for acceptance into the Service Program, and when accepted spend three years learning about and educating others on issues, such as social justice, poverty, hunger, and the environment, in order to be able to confront challenges and create solutions that will affect positive change.
- Meets cyclical during zero period
- Has students involved in the community activity working to support the dear neighbor
- Have discussions on current events and ongoing issues both locally and globally
- Students participate in community service and volunteer opportunities, in order to see first-hand the issues and topics discussed during zero periods.
- SLL Program provides support and encouragement to students as they find their own service opportunities, based on their own interests
SLL students at the Senior level have the unique opportunity to participate in the VOICE Program, a sub-division of SLL. VOICE stands for Vision, Optimism, Inspiration, Confidence, and Empathy.
The goal of VOICE is for its members to serve as role models and mentors for the Freshwomen class, in order to help the newest students grow as Women of Dignity at Mary Louis. VOICE members meet cyclically on A-Day, 9th period.
During one meeting per month, VOICE members meet one-on-one with their assigned Freshwomen Homerooms. Students interested in participating in VOICE can apply at the end of Junior year.
Organizations We Serve With
- First Presbyterian Soup Kitchen
- Xavier Mission
- Hour Children
- Million Trees NYC Stewardship
- Delegates in the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations.
Events We Participate In
- Neighborhood Clean Up
- Delete Day
- Garden Ministry